Thursday, June 4, 2015

Photo storage

I got a message - would I like to install the Google Photos app? I almost always say yes to see what it's about so I did, and felt happy about its promise of free unlimited storage across all devices. My phone's doesn't have much space left, and every time I want something new, I have to choose what to get rid of, so the photo app seemed an easy and convenient solution.

Then I realised it's got this amazing capability to search. Type dogs and pictures of dogs will come up, even though they're not labelled or tagged in any way. That's not all - the app will actually sort your photos into albums of 'Things' and 'Places' without you doing a thing. The photos in my phone for 'Things' got sorted into the categories of beaches, cats, food, screenshots, and flowers, and for 'Places' it was Perth and Mexico. I haven't actually got any photos of Mexico on my phone so that was a bit random. Did I mention that it can make animated GIFs too?

When I logged in to Google at work today, I checked my notification and there was one from Photos. The 'assistant' had created a slideshow of one of my categories that started playing on full screen. It's amazing, but I'm still undecided whether it's cool or scary. Once again I am trusting Google with so much of my private data. And it's only a matter of time before they work out how to sell the data we're providing with these photos. Would you trust them?

No comments:

Post a Comment